Monday, 2 April 2012

Winter League Champ of Champs

This year’s Winter League Champions of Champions race was to be held over 31 March - 1 April at the Hole of Horcum which meant a much shorter trip than last year’s jaunt to South Wales to sit about on a hillside in flat calm conditions for two days!

I met up with Peter at 04:15 on Saturday morning for the trip to Horcum; the early start does mean the traffic is light. Dave Watson and Robert Carson had travelled down on the Friday so had a much more leisurely start!

Unlike 2011 this year’s race was flyable on both days although conditions were pretty challenging. After 10 days of lovely Spring-like weather Saturday started damp with a cold northerly wing blowing. Rain blew through from time to time resulting in a few stoppages and the extremely changeable conditions were a trail. Fortunately Dave had brought his Sportbrella so we could all huddle behind it out of the cold and the rain.

During the eight rounds that were flown on the first day a few fliers were lucky enough to get some reasonable air but the majority struggled to fly in any good air at all. I think I had about 6 laps in one round which were quite good but the rest of the time I was rubbish. None of the Scottish contingent got much in the way of great air but Peter soldiered on doing his best with the conditions although cutting in three rounds must have hurt his scores somewhat :o(

Peter had managed to book us into the White Swann in Pickering and the room was very nice although it looked like an explosion in a toy aeroplane factory once we had distributed several damp airframes around the room to dry out. We had to have a fondle and stroke at Peter’s new Needle too! Noice!!
A couple of beers in the bar and we headed for Spice 4 U to meet-up with some of the other guys for a great curry and a blether!! When I got back to the hotel I’m sure I was asleep within a minute of my head hitting the pillow!!

After a hearty breakfast it was off to Levisham and a climb to the slope the locals always moan about but us hardy northerners take in our stride!! Softies!! After hanging around for ages as the wind swung from the south to the desired west and picked up strength and we got started. Peter got some great air and looked like day two would be better for him but unfortunately when it got to my turn (no10) the wind swung more than 45deg off the slope and dropped away. Mark Redsell who was 9th man was waiting for a reflight because of the changed conditions but after much discussion the round was abandoned and Peter’s good round was lost :o(

We move a little further north and hung around for a while before trekking along the ridge to the hill the last winter league event was held and finally got underway but 12:30. More shockingly bad air at times although Robert Carson hit it lucky and had a great round with his P3 as did Paul Garnett with his blisteringly fast Toxic. Only three more rounds were flown and Jon Thornton came out as the winner, Martin Newham was runner up and Paul Garnett in third. AJ won the Willow in the raffle at the end of the day.

Full results etc will be available on the NYMRSC website.

Peter flew his P3 all day Saturday but had to switch to his Cyril on Sunday because the P3 flap pushrods needed some attetion in the workshop. Dave flew his Cyril although a bit of a hiatus in the first round saw a frenzy of activity to fix a displaced Multplex Greenie in the left wing all in time for a reflight at the end of the round. Robert flew his new P3 which continues to impress. I flew my Vikos although a wingtip had to be taped up prior to a wee repair required before the next outing.

Thanks to Jon Eddison and his band of helpers for a great weekend.
Thanks again to Peter Gunning for doing all the driving and putting up with me prattling on more or less all the time we were in the car! If nobody else speaks, George will!!

No comments:

Post a Comment